Sunday, July 1, 2012

What's for Dinner? Braised Meatballs with Red Wine Gravy

Today's dinner produced lots of leftovers - even with the Man eating a normal sized portion. In cases like these, I either divided the recipe, or plan for the leftovers and use my Food Saver in order to freeze them.

Some WLS patients choose to avoid certain starches: potatoes, rice, pasta. I haven't specifically ruled out any foods (except obviously sugar-laden ones - candy, ice cream, and other sweets). For early post-ops these starches like pasta, even whole wheat or whole grain versions, have a tendency to be very "heavy" on the stomach, or rather ball up and not pass through very quickly. Only in the last two months have I really been able to eat any of these items, and when I do, I make sure to choose a lower glycemic index version such as whole grain pastas.

In making the meatballs from the linked recipe, I modified the procedure slightly - I baked the meatballs in a mini cupcake pan - this helps the balls sit a little above the bottom of the pan so they've not sitting in the rendered fat. Additionally, I did not flour and brown them in a skillet afterward - a step I found unnecessary (and simply adding calories). My method resulted in 28 meatballs. I had two for a serving, so I calculated calories on the recipe based on 1/14th of the total (based on the values at my usual site).

The meatballs and particularly the gravy was divine - looking forward to having the leftovers in the coming weeks. 

Without further ado, today's meals are:

Breakfast
  • Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle protein shake - made w/2% Lactaid milk - 1/2 serving
Lunch
  • Tuna sandwich - 1.5oz tuna, 2tsp mayonnaise,   2 small slices french bread
  • Sargento light string cheese stick
 Snack
  • Dannon Light & Fit raspberry yogurt
Dinner
 Daily Totals: 855 calories, 32g fat, 74g carbs, 20g sugars, 60g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment