Monday, July 23, 2012

Speed May Not Kill - But It Hurts

Every now and then, you get smacked in the face with one of the "rules" of post-op eating. Tonight, I had one of the most basic ones hit me hard.

I spent about 2 hours smelling the divine smells of a roast chicken dressed with lemon, herbs, and a little butter. Julia Child cannot go wrong on that count. I made a simple gravy with the drippings, heated up some left over rice, and served with carrots and onions and that had been roasted with the chicken.

And then I did it. I attacked my chicken portion, and I ate too fast - both in how quickly I took bites, and that I didn't chew them enough. I knew I was in trouble when I started burping - then I realized what had happened, and my stomach began to ache. If post-ops eat too fast and/or don't chew well enough, the food has a hard time leaving our tiny stomachs. Part of the bypass is that it "removes" the pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach - it's still there, but that part of the stomach has been divided, and it is no longer attached to the intestines. So instead of food sitting in the stomach for a while, getting a good dose of digestive juices to start breaking things down - food just kind of moves on through. Unless, that is, it's come in too fast or isn't broken down small enough. Then it gets stuck - which results in either it coming back up (thankfully I've not done that in a few months now), or it hurts for a while until it can work it's way through. Unpleasant is a bit of an understatement.

So despite looking forward so much to dinner, I managed barely 1.5 oz of chicken, a bite of rice, and two bites of veggies before having to stop, and I doubt I'll feel like consuming anything else before bed. Arrrgh.

Oh, and to top it all off, the increase in exercise has really angered the incision - active bleeding. No more workouts for me for at least a few days. 

ETA: Probably should remove dinner from the list here - within 5 minutes of the original post it all came back up. Stomach doesn't hurt as much now - but yeah, didn't get any nutrition from that either. 

My Meals

Breakfast 
  • Dannon Light & Fit raspberry yogurt
  • Sargento Light String Cheese
Lunch
  • open face tuna melt; 2 oz albacore, 1 tsp mayo, 1 oz country white sourdough bread, .5 oz cheddar
  • salad of 1 cup romaine, 1/2 cup tomato, 1 radish, 2 tbsp Ken's Lite Thousand Island dressing
Dinner
Exercise - Biggest Loser CardioMax DVD - level 2, 318 calories burned, Avg HR 138, Max Hr 164

Water - 50 oz

Daily Totals: 543 calories, 20.3g fat, 45.6g carbohydrates, 17.6g sugars, 45.1g protein


No comments:

Post a Comment