Saturday, June 30, 2012

What's For Dinner? Saturday June 30

There's been a lot of discussion in the WLS community lately about what we're eating. Particularly with post-ops that are a month or two back into solid foods, boredom with plain foods can become a problem, and honestly - quite a few of us considered ourselves "foodies" pre-op, and still want to enjoy the variety of fine dining but still of course need to keep to our basic rules and restrictions.

To that end, I've decide to do a regular post on "What's For Dinner?". I'll probably feature most of my daily eating, aside from breakfast - as I'm still most comfortable having a protein shake for my first meal of the day, and I rarely, if ever, venture away from my favorite Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle flavor.

This morning I woke up late, and had shopping to do - so I skipped breakfast - NOT recommended, but this is about how I eat - warts and all.  The nutritionist in my program recommends food items be limited to 10g of fat and 10g of sugar per serving. For the most part, I stick to that - particularly with sugars, a little less so with fats. I've said before that I really hate "fake foods" - and low fat salad dressings and mayonnaise are two of my big ones. I have made a conscious choice to use the "regular" versions of these products today - other days I may choose a variety that is more naturally lower in fats. All that said...

Today's menu is:

Lunch - Tuna Sandwich
  • 1.5 oz albacore tuna (water packed) w/2 tsp mayonaisse
  • 2 small slices French bread (near end of a 1-lb bakery loaf), toasted
Snack
  • Dannon Light & Fit raspberry yogurt
  • 8 almonds (Blue Diamond, lightly salted)
Dinner - Steak, Green Beans, and Salad
  • Balsamic Glazed Sirloin Steak (3.5 oz portion)
  • 1/2 cup steamed green beans
  • 1 cup mix of romaine lettuce, napa cabbage, roma tomato
  • .5 tbsp Ken's Buttermilk Ranch dressing

 Daily Totals: 719 calories, 34g fat, 56g carbs, 17g sugars, 50g protein

I'm 10g under my goal for protein, and 850 calories is a general guideline (not a hard goal) at my stage post-op, so I have some flexibility for a small snack before bed if I choose.

The Balsamic Glaze for the steak was amazing - definitely going into our rotation for beef meals!

Note: I use http://www.myfooddiary.com for food, exercise, and weight tracking. Nutritional values provided by their database. 

No comments:

Post a Comment