Sunday, July 29, 2012

What's For Dinner? Beef with Beet and Carrot Pancakes

Today has just been strange - first, I slept horribly last night, something that's unusual for me. I've been taking Ambien pretty much solid since the Event and it usually knocks me right out, and I'll get at least 6-7 solid hours of sleep. Last night, I was waking every 90 minutes or so, and having very vivid and strange dreams. Let's see, the one I remember was that I was young, cute, and single and  having an affair with the president, who was Michael Douglas, and there was a giant parking lot right outside the White House, and he was going away for a while, so to keep me happy he gave me the keys to his silver Lotus Esprit to drive around. I apparently was living in my childhood home in California, though it wasn't that far away, and parked it right in the driveway - like if the president had a Lotus, that the press wouldn't notice some cute young thing tooling around in it. Like I said - strange dreams.

So with all the waking and dreams, I ended up giving up and getting up about 6:30. I decided to try and space out  my eating a bit more today, thinking that might be the cause of some of the recent discomfort (though I since think it's that I've been without prilosec for about a week, they have us take it to ward off ulcers as our stomach chemistry changes over the first year). The Man was off today and he likes breakfast several  hours after he gets up - so around 11am I made a sort of pizza on some ciabatta bread brushed with olive oil and smashed garlic, the last of the fresh mozzarella, some low-fat pork sausage, a few round of pepperoni, and some more of Maggie's basil. It smelled heavenly, and I intended to have just a small serving - but only managed to eat about 3 bites of it - it was just too heavy.

For dinner I tried a recipe I had bookmarked for a few weeks now - beet and carrot pancakes. It sounds odd, but it's done the same way a potato pancake or latke would be made. Shredded veggies, some chopped onion, an egg to bind, and a little flour to put it all together. Again, they smelled great - the sugars from the beets caramelizing in the pan. I found them interesting, but probably not good enough to make again. The Man however, declared that they quickly went from interesting, to "huh", to "Nope, don't like that". Oh well, sometimes new things are a miss.

My stomach did complain as I started eating, so I only managed about 2/3 of my little hamburger patty and about 3 bites of the pancake shown.

I'll fall short in protein because of the differences, and need to have a yogurt bar before bed to close the gap a bit.



My Meals

Breakfast
  • Dannon Light & Fit raspberry yogurt
  • Sargento Light String Cheese
Snack
  • 3 bites of home made pizza described above - I'm counting it as about 100 calories. 
Lunch
  • Salad made from: 
  • 1.5 cups romaine 
  • 1.5 oz left over filet mignon
  • 1/2 cup tomato
  • 2 radishes
  • 1 tbsp Ken's Buttermilk Ranch
Dinner
Planned Snack
  • Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt bar - raspberry
Water - 64 oz


Daily Totals: 742 calories, 38.5g fat, 50.3g carbohydrates, 27.5g sugars, 52.6g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment