Sunday, July 8, 2012

What's for Dinner? Steak with Mustard Cognac Sauce

Today's not been the best day - yesterday the infamous Ass Incision was acting up - and I woke up at 3am with both the runs and some pretty intense pain. I drew a bath, but it didn't provide much relief. I had a few oxycontin left from the surgery, so I took one and went back to bed - it took until about 6am to get back to sleep. As tends to happen with me on oxy, I was in and out of sleep for hours - we finally got up about 10:45 - which put my schedule completely off kilter.

I thought I might not be able to eat three full meals with enough protein starting that late, so I did have a shake for breakfast.

Dinner is a recipe I will write up soon - it's a variation of the classic Steak Diane - steak served with a sauce that includes shallots, liquor (cognac or bourbon), white wine, chicken broth, grainy dijon mustard, heavy cream, and fresh chives. Post-ops should not be overly afraid of the alcohol or the cream! Most of the alcohols burn off in cooking (though some do remain), and there's just 1/4 cup of cream in a recipe that generously serves 4 (probably 6 if all were post-ops).

As it turned out, I was right about not being able to eat three full meals on this shortened day - I only managed 2oz of the 3oz steak, barely any of the potatoes (small yellow potatoes sauteed with a chopped onion in a bit of butter), but I did eat all my peas.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday and my follow-up with the surgeon who treated my abscess. If for any reason he chooses not to take any action (wait and watch, vs. antibiotics or further surgical clean-out), we'll be asking for a referral from the colonoscopy doc to a colo-rectal surgeon - he offered if one became necessary. I'm hoping not, but I'm not willing to let this go on much longer - it's been irritated and draining for over 2 months now - that's enough.



My Meals

Breakfast
  •  Syntrax Nectars Chocolate Truffle Shake made with 2% Lactaid milk
Lunch
  • Wrap made with: 
  • Whole Grain Ole tortilla wrap
  • 2.5 oz grilled boneless chicken breast
  • 50g avocado
  • 1 tsp Ortega Mild taco sauce
Dinner
  • 2oz sirloin steak
  • 3/4 serving Mustard Cognac Sauce
  • 1/2 serving potatoes and onions
  • 1/3 cup peas
  • 1/2 tsp butter
Water - 50oz

Daily Totals: 825 calories, 29g fat, 53g carbohydrate, 17g sugars, 81g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment