Friday, August 31, 2012

What's For Lunch? Mini Tuna Melts

Today's food choices don't bring anything new, though having 2 "seafood" meals in one day is a record for me. One of my favorite things years ago was the tuna melt sandwich at Toastie's Cafe in Pacific Grove, CA. I'd frequently go there for a meal after my midnight shift at 911 and if I didn't order breakfast, I'd get the tuna melt. Amazing sourdough bread, just the right amount of mayo moisture in the tuna, a good sharp cheddar, and sometimes with a nice ripe tomato slice. It was heaven.

Post-op I can't have a full sandwich, and un-toasted bread is even harder. So I started making miniature tuna melts on some multigrain cracker chips. I use chunk albacore tuna (water pack) in a 5 oz can, 2 tsp light mayonaisse, between .5 and 1 oz sharp cheddar, and the chips are Wheat Thins Toasted Chips - Multigrain. The eat more like a cracker than a "chip" - and are pretty reasonable in the nutritional information - baked, so they're not greasy. Half the tuna mixture will fit on 5 or 6 chips. Pop them under the broiler for about 2 minutes until the cheese gets bubbly, and I have a pretty good substitute for my old favorite sandwich.

They don't look quite so neon orange as they do in this picture, but they're quite yummy!


I did discover, much to my amusement this evening, that my youngest kitten likes the sauce on my Shrimp with Cashews. He licked my leftovers clean! Left the shrimp, but enjoyed the sauce. Silly kitties.

My meals: 

Breakfast
  • 3/4 cup Kashi Go Lean! cereal
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
Lunch
  • Mini tuna melts
  • 1 cup romaine lettuce, 2 radishes, a sprinkle of pepitas, 1 tbsp Ken's Lite Ranch dressing
Snack
  • Dannon Light & Fit raspberry yogurt
Dinner
Planned Snack
  • Yasso Frozen Greek yogurt bar - raspberry
Water - 64 oz

 Exercise - Biggest Loser PowerSculpt Level 2 - 40 minutes, 227 calories burned

Daily Totals: 896 calories, 32.3g fat, 106.8g carbohydrates, 55g sugars, 58.1g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment