Sunday, August 12, 2012

Adventures and Disbelief in Shopping

I've been avoiding looking for new jeans because I had been trouble finding anything that really fit. At my heaviest, I wore "fat Mom jeans" - elastic, high-waisted pull on pants, just happened to be made in denim. I'd been hanging onto my last pair of size 16 of those, but they were really starting to hang off my ass. About 4 months post-op I had tried on some regular "zip jeans" at Catherine's (plus size store, not quite as "youthful" as Lane Bryant), and failed horribly to find something that even approached wearable.

Granted, I've now lost quite a bit more, but when I mentioned to some friends on Twitter that I was going to head to the mall today to find some jeans at Lane Bryant, one of them strongly urged me to look at Old Navy instead. I said no, that I wasn't small enough to do that yet, that I anticipated I'd need a 16/18 or so. She insisted that (at least at her nearby store) that they carried sizes like that regularly, and they had lots of fit options. I was skeptical, but decided to check them out first at the mall (after making sure our mall actually had one).

I walked in and felt like a complete imposter - a dodged a clerk who offered to help me find choose a size/fit of jeans, and looked around timidly. 

They have 3 basic fit options: fairly straight, thinner waist with larger thighs, and a more rounded figure. I forget which of the last two corresponded with the one I chose at first (Flirt is what they called it), but I tried on the 18 - and while it zipped, I had a big gap at the small of my back, and they weren't any better about all the extra material under my butt than my current jeans. I tried the 16, but it was too small. I put the 18s back on and stepped out of my fitting room to ask the opinion of the "fitologist" Deena - who was just perky and helping anyone who looked unsure of their choices. She took one look at that gap and got on the radio and asked one of the floor people to bring back the "sweetheart" fit in a 16 and 18.

I took those back to my dressing room, and for shits and giggles decided to try the 16 first. Holy CRAP, it fit! A little room under the butt, but not hanging at all. The waistline was lower than my normal by what feels like about 4 inches, but that's the style today in non-"mom jeans".

I cried.

I know I'd bought my graduation dresses at Dillards - a "normal" store, but I hadn't imagined shopping somewhere like Old Navy, that didn't have a special "fat girl" section, just stuff on the rack all mixed together.

The kicker? $19 jeans! I was beaming as I left the place. With still about 50 pounds to go, it seems like a goal of size 8 (maybe 6 after plastics) really isn't that outrageous. I'd settle for a 10, but single digits would make me crazy happy.

I spent yesterday without any pain killers, and the same today. I was a tad sore after my shopping expedition; I'd done grocery shopping first, came back and unloaded, then went out to the mall, then over to Bed Bath & Beyond for a cast iron skillet, and finally to the specialty grocer that carries my frozen greek yogurt bars. 

I'm going to start work in my desk chair and see if I can last all day - I am much more productive there than in the recliner, but I am still very thankful that I have that option if necessary.

My Meals: 

Breakfast
  •  Dannon Light & Fit raspberry yogurt
Lunch

  • 2 oz prepared rotisserie chicken salad (chicken, mayo, celery, onion)
  • 6 Wheat Thins Toasted Crackers - multi grain
Snack
  • Sargento Light String Cheese
Dinner


Planned Snack: Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt bar - raspberry

Water - 60 oz

Daily Totals: 602 calories, 22.3g fat, 54.2g carbohydrates, 27g sugars, 48.9g protein

I'm seriously under on protein, and low on calories as well. I'll definitely have the yogurt bar before bed, but I don't think there's much more I can do today. I've had a few too many 50g protein days, so I really need to watch that - I don't want to start losing my hair and of course as I get back into exercising again, I really need it to not lose muscle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment