- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 oz deli roast beef - shredded
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, microplaned or minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 8 large leaves basil - preferably Thai basil
- 1/2 a serrano chili, seeded and minced fine
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 oz raw bean sprouts
- 2 oz snow peas, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 shitake mushrooms - caps sliced thinly
- 2 oz rice vermicelli (usually found in the Asian section of the supermarket)
In a medium pan of boiling water, cook rice noodles for 4 minutes. Add snow peas and cook for an additional minute. Drain peas and noodles and rinse under cold water.
Heat oil in same pan, then saute shallot until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, stirring constantly for another minute.
Add broth, water, and fish sauce to the pot, bring to a boil, then simmer for at least 10 minutes to combine flavors.
While broth simmers, place bean sprouts, basil, cilantro and mushrooms in two large soup bowls. Divide beef and rice and peas between the two bowls.
When broth is finished simmering, pour over vegetables in each bowl.
Nutritional information (via myfooddiary.com): 1 serving = 1/2 recipe: 244 calories, 4.5g fat, 30.3g carbohydrates, 2.8g sugars, 19.1g protein