- .5 cup cooked white long grain rice
- 1.5 cups steamed broccoli - cooked until just past al dente
- 1/2 medium onion - finely diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 slice toasted white bread (or scant 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs or panko)
Melt butter in heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add flour and whisk together. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, whisking frequently, until roux turns tan in color. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Add salt and pepper. Cook another 2 minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Add half to three-quarters of the cheese, stir until melted. Add sauce to rice, broccoli, and onion mixture.
Spoon mixture into small baking dish (I have a 4x4 Le Creuset dish that fits this perfectly). Top with bread crumbs and remaining cheese.
Bake in 350F oven for 20-25 minutes until casserole is hot and bubbly.
Serves 4 bariatric or small side servings, or 2 larger portions.
Nutritional information (via myfooddiary.com, based on 4 servings): 195 calories - 10.2g fat, 19.3g carbohydrates, 3.6g sugars, 7.9g protein