Friday, January 13, 2012

A Short Reboot - Fixing the Returns

I talked with the program nutritionist Amber on Thursday, and she made a few suggestions for me.

First, I'd not yet filled the prescription for Prilosec that they gave me to start 3 weeks post-op, in large part because my insurance was balking at covering it. After a lot of back and forth between them and the doc, they finally gave a firm "no". I just hadn't bothered to pick it up over the counter yet. She strongly recommended that I start that right away, while I haven't been having heartburn, excess or particularly strong stomach acid might be a contributing factor to the vomiting.

Secondly, she recommended dropping back to full liquids for a couple days to give my system a rest, then spend a day or two on purees before coming back to solid foods - and to start very cautiously with 1 to 3 tbsp at a time.

Yesterday went well on liquids, and doing OK so far today. The water today has been a bit of a challenge, I have slight bit of post-nasal drip and that always makes water taste so "yummy", but I'm really pushing myself to get it down. The Man has a sinus infection right now, so if all I get is a little drip and funny tasting water, I'll be over the moon (he usually shares his maladies quite readily).

So we're on a short reboot on the food plan, if at any time the vomiting comes back, they'll see me in clinic to make sure nothing else is going on.

I like having a plan, and this one feels sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment