Sunday, September 9, 2012

New foods: Farro

I know I've been absent for a few days - the end of the week was tiring for me - and I spent most of yesterday feeling sorry for myself - until I was folding laundry and decided to try on one of the Man's tshirts (size L) - and it FIT. Holy crap.

See, my nutritionist claimed the other day that my ideal weight is 107.5 lbs. I laughed, loudly. According to the charts I refer to (on MyFoodDiary.com), 107 is the very bottom of the "thin frame" range for my height. I'm not thin framed. Not in a million years. I'm at least medium, if not broad. But being a little tough on myself, if we say medium, then the range they give is 116-129, and if we did go up to broad, it would be 126-143.  My personal goal right now is 150 by weight loss alone - after plastics, getting to 143 or lower is completely reasonable. As I get closer to 150, I've considered pushing myself down to 140 by weight loss, but we'll see how it goes.

Part of yesterday's blues was in trying to make a grocery list - as much as I love my mini tuna melts and chicken on salad, I need a bit of variety. One of the recipes I found used farro, a protein-rich grain. Since regular pasta and white rice is fairly nutritionally bereft, I decided to give it a shot - and I was immediately in love. It will definitely become part of my food options. It's chewy, nutty, and just plain good. I modified the salad to reduce the amount of oil in the vinaigrette, and I skipped the goat cheese.

For dinner, I was a bit ambitious and tried an onion, cheese, and bacon tart that I'd been eying for a while - I did modify the recipe to fit into some mini tart pans that I have, and it was rich enough that I could only eat half of one - but the Man happily slurped up the other half of mine. It's too rich to be anything but a very occasional treat, but damn, it was good.

My meals: 

Breakfast
  • 3/4 cup Kashi Go Lean! cereal
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
Lunch
Snack
  • Sargento Light String Cheese
Dinner
Water - 40 oz (need more!)

Daily Totals: 803 calories, 35.7g fat, 57g carbohydrates, 10.4g sugars, 70.7g protein 

No comments:

Post a Comment