Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mussels and Recovery

Yes, mussels, not muscles. Before my surgery the Man and I went out to our favorite Italian place, and he had the linguini with mussels in a garlic white wine sauce. I've been afraid of mussels since an experience at the Pike Place Market in Seattle back in 1990 where I got a mouth full of still bearded mussel (shiver). However, I've been open to trying things again lately so I asked for one, and it was quite good!

He took me grocery shopping on Saturday since I was still taking Vicodin, and the fishmonger had bags of fresh mussels available. We brought one home and tonight I made my own version of mussels in white wine garlic sauce over a bit of thin spaghetti (far more pasta for him than me). They might have come out just a touch overdone, but they were still good and not rubbery at all.



Regular pasta is not something I can eat easily - nor do I really want to get in the habit of it - it's a high glycemic index carb and very caloric for how much you eat. Besides, it tends to kind of clump in your stomach and that makes it hard for me to digest it (and can lead to serious tummy aches).

But it did give me a nice tasty bit of pasta with parmesan and herbs and the lovely fragrance of the garlic and wine.

I'm recovering OK - still oozing, still using the chux pads in bed and on the recliner, though I have for the last 2 days worked from my regular office desk and chair with just a towel folded up several times on the seat. Not as comfortable as it was pre-op, but I'm getting there - haven't had a Vicodin today at all, so I'm hoping that may have been the end of that. Now to just stop the oozing and we'll be good (it can continue for 2-3 weeks and not be considered unusual).

So - starting to eat more normally (beyond the soups and yogurts I was having the first 4-5 days post-op), and feeling about 75% better - still a ways to go, but I'm getting there.

Oh - and I wore an Old Navy medium long sleeved tee the other day. Holy crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment